Monday, March 1, 2010

Some Thoughts

Hey everyone,

This post isn't only targeted at the Sec 1s, but also anyone else who might be feeling that RC life is getting a little too dry for them.

Well, here's my 10 cents worth, you can choose to read on if you want... (I know this is going to sound like a post from theUNIchannel but here goes)

Once upon a time, not too long ago, I was a Sec 1 just like how all of you are/were. Back then, we had 8 CCA choices - 2 MGs, 4 sports, 2 UGs. I'm not really updated on the current system now, but I think it's not too different from what my batch had, except now there are 9 choices.

Anyway, back then, I had put RC as my 7th (yes, SEVENTH) choice. Reason being, I hated the sound of UGs back then - drills, PT, etc. Basically, there really wasn't anything that made me interested in them. Furthermore, I was personally inclined more towards music (although then having little musical background), and didn't see how UGs would make a difference to me.

Hence, when the CCA allocations were released, I was pretty disappointed to be honest. I wanted to make an appeal to change to another CCA (my 1st choice happened to be RIGE). That never happened simply because I was too lazy.

And so I stayed in RC. Back then, the training style was much tougher than how it is today (and even tougher before that). Just ask anyone from B59 and before to testify how life was like when B56 and earlier batches were holding the reins. Won't dwell too much on that in case it turns you off or brings back traumatic memories :P

Time passed by really quickly. Perhaps just yesterday I was in that Seminar Room listening to Mrs. Ang go on and on about how RC wasn't as bad as it sounded. And now, we're a mere 1 week away from FDCOM 3 years later when everyone's really trying to put our best foot forward.

You're probably going to ask, what did you actually gain from RC? I'm not going to give you politically correct rubbish or a smoked answer. I'm just going to answer with what I personally feel.

In RC, you get to meet all sorts of people - slackers, hardworking people, pessimists, optimists, visionaries, people with attitude problems, heartless people - the list is endless. You'll eventually have to deal with everyone in one way or another - whether as seniors when you're cadets, batchmates, as cadets when you're NCOs, or even teachers. Many people hate working with people who don't click (yes, I admit sometimes even I do), but face it, you're going to be stuck with them for quite awhile. Likewise in the real world, you can't fire your boss you don't like, you can't fire your colleague whom you think is an idiot, you can't fire an employee just because you hate how he works. You'll see that RC in a way really emulates the situation out there, and of sorts prepares you for the real world, opens up your mind.

Then there's the 6 core subjects. I'll just bring up FD this time, because if I carry on too long I'm going to be late for training ._.

FD at first glance may seem boring and dry and regimental, but if you look deeper, you'll begin to see how it really brings out the trust between every single squad member as well as the commander, and how tight the squad has to be with regards to teamwork. A truly good FD squad would be able to place enough trust in the commander that they blindly execute any command he or she gives, knowing that it will be correct. Likewise, the commander can give any correct command knowing that the squad will execute it perfectly and without any mistakes.

Don't worry, I'm ending soon.

Look beyond the simple things, look beyond short term gains. Perhaps you won't get it - I didn't when I was Sec 1, Sec 2 or even Sec 3. However, now I do.

RC is more than a CCA - it shapes people, it makes people better. Many of us aren't going to remember or use polynomial functions when we're out there - it's more of how we're able to adjust ourselves to each other, how to accommodate each other, how we work as a team, whether now or in the future.

But I'm not going to force this on your thoughts, because that's just how I feel :) don't worry too much about it.

I'll leave it to you to guess who I am, but if you do find out, don't spoil the surprise for others :D

Cheers, and see you in 30 minutes time.

No comments:

Post a Comment